Wine + Peace
Chris Brockway

Broc Cellars

Nero d'Avola 2019








Production Notes

Nero d’Avola is still pretty rare in California, but Broc Cellars winemaker Chris Brockway co-farms one of the few vineyards that grows it - Fox Hill in Mendocino. 80% of the grapes fermented on their skins before getting pressed to neutral French oak barrels to age for 10 months. The remaining 20% of the Nero d’Avola aged on skins in amphora until January 2020. The grapes were then pressed and the juice was transferred back to the amphora for the next 6 months. Both versions of the Nero d’Avola were combined to create a bright red fruited wine with silky tannins. The badger on the label is an ode to both Broc’s Scottish Gaelic translation of his name and the previous owner of Fox Hill Vineyard, Lowell Stone, who loved animals. 430 cases produced. 13% abv.

Nero d'Avola - 2019
Like a crisp drum solo, it’s a portal to another dimension. Vibrant and gracefully woven with flavors of prickly pear, tangy sumac and wild Mediterranean herbs.
Chris Brockway

Broc Cellars

Berkeley, CA

Check out wines from the same winemaker

Broc Cellars Amore Blendo 2020


Broc Cellars Nero d'Avola 2019